Friday, August 7, 2009

Theme

Previously in this blog I had a theme. Every post had a title from an R.E.M. song that I tried to tie in with the subject matter. I moved away from that, in much the way I loved all things R.E.M. and slowly moved away from fanaticism in that band to just liking them. Now I feel like I need something else to fill that gap.

I had a chat with a friend about a month ago and she told me she hopes I don't get into a relationship soon. On its face, that seems like a d!ck thing to say, but the reasons behind it are anything but. She doesn't want to see me rush into a relationship without finding someone who is really good for me. I don't have that right now, I don't see it on the horizon, and, most terrifyingly, in order to find this, I need to hunt outside the pack. The tribe doesn't contian that person at this time, so I need to reach out and meet new people. While I think of myself as a social animal, I, as most peple do, get nervous meeting new folk, especially if I'm thinking about dating them.

So, dear readers, I look to you for help. What's my next step?

2 comments:

Jon From Elmwood said...

The next step? Man, it's the advice I give to people all the time... Just be open to things you might not normally be open to...
A weird invite comes your way that you might not normally take?
Take it...
You're home watching TV?
Turn it off for God's sake, there's a world out there to see, even if you just go to a coffee shop and sit there for a hour, or go to a town you're not familiar with and wander it's main street...
It's Sunday morning and you have no plans?
Call a friend you haven't seen in a while...
Think about what you did when you were 15 to have fun. Apply that same reasoning to your day today. You'll have a good time.
Wanna meet new people? You gotta get out of the house, out of your current comfort zones...

These are the things I did, and more, and I met a wonderful woman, I have great friends (including you)and even with all the crap... I enjoy life.

Evil Jim said...

Stop looking. Stop trying. Stop lamenting. Come to grips with yourself and your own situation, first. Do for yourself. Sort yourself out and before you know it, you will find it much easier to begin allowing new people into your life.

I know you don't need someone to tell you this, but I will anyway: you are no less of a person without a woman in your life. You don't need someone to complete you, but rather complement you. You have so much to offer a person, but your friend is right. Now may not be the time for you to get into a relationship. You need to look at yourself and decide what you actually need...

I know you can do it!