Monday, September 29, 2008

Camera (movie edition)

Today's themed post is all about the movies.

First of all, check out this news. (Update: this link seems to be screwey and not working every time, try this if it fails). Apparently Kenneth Branagh is in talks to direct the upcoming Thor movie. Now, I haven't always seen eye-to-eye with Branagh, his Hamlet seemed to me like an exercise in vanity, but when I heard about it, I had the same thought that the guys at Ain't It Cool had; Henry V. If you haven't seen this version from 1989, you're really missing someone who nails Shakespeare in a film setting.

Secondly, I believe on the night of 10/17 (that's a Friday) I'll be hosting a get-together and screening of one of the twentieth century's finest pieces of cinema. That's right, it is finally time for the Adventures in Babysitting viewing we've been talking about for so long. 80's attire is strongly encouraged, bring some snack or drink to share. Please note, I have Gwen that night, so all festivities will be muted, this isn't an all out, wake the neighbors party, but rather a chance to get together and enjoy ridiculousness.

Finally, I had an idea yesterday for a screenplay which I can't shop to Elmwood, there is no way we'd ever have the budget for it. Its a simple premise, an over-the-top action movie in the strain of Die Hard and the great buddy movies like Lethal Weapon starring....

Helen Mirren and Judi Dench.

Can you imagine? I know it would be a success, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't want to see it. I'm thinking Matt Damon and Casey Affleck as the love interests, Jeremy Piven as the villian, and Timothy Olyphant as the police chief. I'm shopping script names, but I think I'm going to put this together.

No comments: