Monday, July 21, 2008

Summer Turns to High

Here we are, another monday morning. The weekend has passed and I'm back at work, doing my job, which takes more than 40 hours a week, and someone else's job because they are out of the office. Nevertheless, while I watch my computer chug away, calculating excel files and generally preventing me from doing anything work related other than calculate those files, I find myself typing into this blog again.

Whenever I sit down to write I wonder if what I put in here is worthy of comment. I want this blog to be a little better than the LiveJournal account I had previously. I want the quality of writing to be more professional, I want the content to be less bitchy and more thoughtful. That being said, I want to discuss what I've done, what I'm doing and what I'm thinking. I'll try to find that thin line.

This weekend was interesting. I went to Rathbun's on Friday and I must say its nice to hang out with him again. Its been a while since we spent time together. Gwen wasn't cooperating, wanting to stay awake all night. Though I think it was a combination of so much going on around her and the heat - there is no AC over there.

Got a chance to play around with White Wolf's Scion, which looks like it could be a lot of fun. There's enough crunchyness for the gamers who like the numbers, powers and dice rolling; but a rich enough story and background that you can just RP without really worrying about it. For those of you not interested in game mechanics, skip the rest of this paragraph. The combat system incorporates a new timing concept that they call "ticks". If another game has this I haven't seen it, so don't tell me this isn't new, its new to me. Basically whoever rolls highest for initiative is considered to go at tick 0. Every other character goes at a place determined by the difference between the sucesses rolled by the first person in initiative and their successes. For example, P1 rolls 5 successes, P2 rolls 3 and P3 rolls 1 success. P1 goes on tick 0, P2 on tick 2, and P3 on tick 4. This continues each round and ticks continue to count up. Each weapon has a rate as well, and can only be operated once that many ticks have passed, so you will continue to count up ticks and progress through the combat. We also played Formula De, but unfortunately I needed to leave mid-game.

Saturday morning started early. Gwen and I got up and got ready to go to the beach. We met up with Kelly and drove down to Rocky Neck to hit the beach. Gwen had a great time figuring out the physics of sand, banging her shovel against the bucket, figuring out that sand doesn't taste good and watching the other kids. I'm looking forward to doing something like that again. We left around 12:30 and stopped by the Book Barn. I am such a sucker for books, but I behaved and didn't buy anything. Finally we stopped at James' Pharmacy in Old Saybrook, I'll have to tell the story of that place later. We had some ice cream and went home to drop Gwen off with her mother.

That night we grabbed dinner at Moe's Southwest Grill since the line at Cheesecake factory was too long. Pretty nice for a "fast food" type place. They had pretty good guacamole and salsa, so I can't complain. Met up with Jim and Jaime after that and went to go see "The Dark Knight". I'm sure I don't need to comment at all on this film, you've eitehr seen it, heard the hype, or most likely both since it made $155.4 million, beating out the less than stellar Spider Man 3. After the movie we hung out for a bit and I didn't get to sleep until 2.

Work begs me to get back to it, so I'll wrap this now, but later I'll get back to Sunday and Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog now only available on iTunes.